Policy & Advocacy
The Advocacy Committee monitors and develops policy regarding issues that affect the mission, reputation, or credibility of the Minnesota Oral Health Coalition.
On October 29, 2014 the MOHC hosted the Policy Consensus Tool. The Policy Consesus Tool is a program of the Children’s Dental Health Project (CDHP) and the Division of Oral Health of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They collaborated to develop a facilitated consensus-building process for stakeholders.
Since 2007, more than 20 states have used the Policy Consensus Tool to enhance strategic thinking about oral health in the state, strengthen communication among oral health advocates by encouraging an exchange of views, while providing a path to consensus, support a process for identifying and prioritizing policy issues, encourage transparency in obtaining and aggregating stakeholder input and enhance implementation and evaluation of the State Oral Health Plan.
The following five priorities resulted from Minnesota’s exercise. The MOHC board will set a plan for how to engage and become engaged in the realization of these priorities.
Minnesota Oral Health Coalition Policy Priorities:
- Increase (provide adequate) reimbursement to sustain a network of providers to deliver care.
- Create appropriate incentives (i.e. loan forgiveness) for providers to serve high need/low access patient population.
- Funding for oral health data to determine needs and provision of care.
- (Health Disparities) Develop policy that recognizes the social determinants of health as it relates to oral health and cultural barriers to care.
- Take advantage of potential integration of dental and medical care and financing.
Policy Consensus Tool Documents
To learn more about policy and advocacy with the Minnesota Oral Health Coalition, please contact us.
4190 Vinewood Lane N, #111-416
Plymouth, MN 55446
Map | Directions